Sunday, February 7, 2010

Spending time at Bear Creek

It's calving season here at the Hoodoo Ranch and my son and husband couldn't be happier. They have a really nice calving barn at one of the other ranches about 40 miles from here, so that is where they calve out the heifers. Every weekend, Dustin is up at 5 with Matt ready to head over to Bear Creek. The past couple of weekends Riley & I make up some goodies for the guys and head over the hill to hang out.

This is how Dustin kills time between checks and during slow days....




My son is such a goober :) he insisted that I take a picture of him in his "working mode"....note the seriousness...




This is Rileys' transportation of choice....


Dustin gets to spend a lot of time in the saddle which makes him one happy boy! Here he is riding Barney. They seem to be a nice match for each other:)



Dustin is learning all sorts of things. He knows what to watch for and can tell if a cow is close or not, he can tell what all the different #'s on the ear tags mean and has even tagged a few of the calves, but I think his favorite part is getting to ride. (and shooting his bow in the barn during down time)


I'm so proud of my boy :))))
The highlight of Riley's day was that she got to see a calf being born from start to finish. I was trying to prepare myself for a lot of questions, but she loved it. All she said was "that was cool!" She didn't even think that it was gross or anything! That's my girl :))))

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like Dustin is loving living in WY! We love the serious cowboy picture. The kids like they have grown so much. this is from Christy but I am too lazy too sign out of rance's account and into mine :)

Mom said...

Those are great pictures of the kids. We just had our first calf the other day. Lets hope for nice weather for calving. Deb